Friday, October 12, 2012

They're Still With Us (I'm With You Review)

I've been a fan of the Red Hot Chili Peppers since I was 8 years old.  At the time, of course, I didn't really understand their music, which is, in general, not something an 8 year old should be listening to.  So, as you can imagine, I was extremely exited when I learned that they were coming out with a new album called I'm With You.  The Peppers went on hiatus after releasing their 2006 album Stadium Arcadium, which resulted in roomers of retirement.  No one took these roomers seriously, however.  As bassist "Flea" put it, "the Chili Peppers never went away."

For a band that's been around so long, and kept most of it's core members the whole time, it's impressive how good they still sound.  I could not find a single track on I'm With You that I didn't like.  I was also impressed with how well Josh Klinghoffer's style meshed with the traditional funk/hard rock/punk style that the Chili Peppers are known for.  Klinghoffer was confirmed as a permanent replacement for long-time guitarist John Frusciante.  While many fans were upset to see John go, Josh's style provides a different yet interesting effect on the music.  Where Frusciante was known for his psychedelic riffs, Josh does a good job of keeping a good background rhythm that complements Flea's bass riffs very well.

Overall I'd have to say that I'm With You is one of my favorite albums by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.  It has less of a hard rock feel to it and draws more influence from funk, which is an interesting but not unwelcome change from the traditional Chili Peppers sound.  The only album that I think tops I'm With You is Californication, which was and still is a gem.


No comments:

Post a Comment